Saturday, December 6, 2008

Season's Greetings

I interrupt this (irregularly updated) blog for a comment on a fun time of year...

As our economy sinks deeper into recession during the time of year that bouys businesses in the face of economic downturns, it is time to think about what this season is really about: GETTING GOOD STUFF FOR CHRISTMAS!

A friend of mine took me shopping for Christmas! :)

This friend is rich -- I mean, he's loaded. His credit has never been a problem, and it never will be. I didn't see what kind of credit card he has, but I think it's like Carte Blanche (do they even still have that?), or maybe like American Express used to be -- his card doesn't seem to have a credit limit. Could it be a debit card, and he has that much money in that account?

Anyway...

He took me shopping, and I loaded up my cart. I mean, I really made out. I got while the getting was good. I filled that cart full of all kinds of fun stuff, stuff I thought I needed, stuff I wanted -- after all, we never know when hard times are going to strike, and it looks like tough times are striking all over the world right now. I grabbed all the goodies I could see.

I'll spare you the details on what all I got. Some of it, I'm sure, you would have liked, but some not -- two people never have exactly the same taste, do they?

Anyway, we were at the checkout and he was paying, and I looked and saw a couple of more goodies, so I grabbed them, too. He eyed me, and I felt a little sheepish. :)

So, he was paying and there I was... I saw something else, so I grabbed it.

He had to be wondering if I was done yet. Well, what would you do in my place?

So the cart was full (it was obscene!) and he paid for it all, but then I pointed out that I just had to have a couple more things... so, on top of this obscenely full (overflowing, really) cart, I piled more stuff.

(I did manage to make it all fit in one cart, because, after all, I call this guy a friend, and didn't want to look like I was taking advantage of him, but especially considering the hard times, I felt I had to get a bunch of stuff.)

So, he paid for this additional stuff, too.

And, I made out like a bandit! :) :)

I hope I haven't made anyone jealous of me. Times are tough, you know.

But, I did want to share this with any readers I may have (just in case :| I have any), so that you, too, will know what this season is really about.

You see, it all started about two thousand years ago. This friend of ours arrived at Christmas to pay for all the stuff we thought we needed because times were tough then, too.

So, as you are getting the stuff you want our need this year (even though, like most in our nation, you may believe you don't have enough), go for it! Get while the getting is good! Fill up that cart!

It was paid for by a friend who was born in some kind of manger or barn or something, because there was no room for him or his mother in the "in places" back then, either. So, back then too, he was all but forgotten in a season that has always belonged to him, and then, a few decades later, he was tortured and executed, left to die hanging on a cross between two criminals, even though he himself was innocent and had done nothing deserving of punishment.

Your cart of goodies is paid for, and times are tough, so what the hell? Pile it a little higher, like I did. After all, it's your patriotic duty to help our nation out of recession.

So, Merry Christmas... Season's Greetings!

We now return to my occasional blogging on political issues.

1 comment: